Quilt Batting

 

Quilt Batting




8. Quilt Batting

Explore the different types of batting and how each affects the warmth, weight, and appearance of a quilt.


Like a rotary cutter, as said in my previous blog posting, I just started using batting a few years ago.  Because I sewed only in the capacity of clothes for myself I only used interfacing and had not become acustom to batting.

Now I am accustom to using battings in making pouches, bags, quilting etc. and enjoy the many different effects produced on each project.

Fusible Fleece is one I used most of all on mug rugs, placemat, cozies, bags, pouches etc.

Insul Bright is another one I have come across to use when making pot holders, hot plates etc.  This may some times maybe thick and difficult for the needle to transmit through.  I had to find the needle that worked with this type of batting.

Since using batting I have found out that I have to do more cleaning chores of the bobbin area of my sewing machine.

My first time using batting was with a Quilt As You Go  Kit which included marked lines and design indications, which probably good for beginners.

Please refer to the resource set out below which can be helpful to all whether you are beginner or advance.


Thank you


= = = = = = = = = == = = = = = = = = =

 

Good morning! I'm doing well, thank you. I hope you're having a wonderful morning too. Here's the next installment for your Knowledge Base of Basics Series.

๐Ÿงต Knowledge Base of Basics Series

8. Quilt Batting

Quilt batting is the soft layer placed between the quilt top and the backing fabric. It provides warmth, thickness, and texture, and plays an important role in the finished look and feel of your quilt.

There are several types of batting, each with its own advantages:

  • Cotton Batting – A popular choice for traditional quilts. It is breathable, lies flat, and gives quilts a soft, natural look with a slightly crinkled appearance after washing.

  • Polyester Batting – Lightweight, lofty, and very durable. It provides extra warmth without adding much weight and resists shrinking.

  • Cotton/Polyester Blend – Combines the softness of cotton with the resilience and loft of polyester, making it a versatile option for many quilting projects.

  • Wool Batting – Warm, lightweight, and naturally breathable. It creates beautiful stitch definition and is excellent for heirloom quilts.

  • Bamboo Batting – Soft, breathable, and eco-friendly. It drapes well and has a silky feel, making it ideal for lightweight quilts.

Choosing the Right Batting

When selecting batting, consider:

  • The purpose of the quilt (bed quilt, wall hanging, baby quilt, or table runner).

  • The amount of warmth you want.

  • The desired loft (thin, medium, or thick).

  • How closely you plan to quilt, as each batting has recommended quilting distances.

Sewing Tip

Always smooth the batting before layering your quilt sandwich to help prevent wrinkles or folds. Basting your quilt securely with pins, spray, or thread makes quilting easier and helps keep all three layers aligned.

Knowledge Base Tip: Batting may not be visible in a finished quilt, but it has a huge impact on comfort, durability, and the overall appearance of your project. Choosing the right batting is just as important as selecting your fabrics.

This topic also pairs well with an affiliate section featuring quilt batting, batting rolls, batting tape, basting spray, and safety pins for quilting. Wishing you a happy day of sewing and quilting!



------------------‐--------  


Pearman Sew Storefront

Please kindly click the link to visit the shop!

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/shop/pearmansew


Featured MaterialsBatting Materials

https://amzn.to/4bRICIu


The Warm Company - Warm & Natural Cotton Quilt Batting – 45" x 40 Yard Bolt – Premium Quilt & Craft Batting for Sewing & Quilting Projects






“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”

“This post contains affiliate links.
If you click the link, I earn a small commission—at no extra cost to you.”






No comments:

Post a Comment

Quilt Batting

  Quilt Batting 8. Quilt Batting Explore the different types of batting and how each affects the warmth, weight, and appearance of a quilt. ...